7 Life Lessons from John Gokongwei, Jr
Themes & Motifs Online - The Wedding Ideas & Promos Portal
November 18, 2019
7 Significant Life Lessons that you can learn from John Gokongwei, Jr
As tribute pour in to one of the greatest business leader and philanthropist of our time, it is truly undeniable that Mr. John Gokongwei, Jr. left a legacy to the Filipino nation and the coming generation worth emulating.
Here are seven (7) significant lifetime lessons that Mr. John Gokongwei, Jr. taught his children, shared by his son Lance Gokongwei, which we can also learn from:
1. Work hard. If you don't work, you don't eat : Let your children find their passion, and be the best they can be in the field they choose. And then make them work hard at it. When they were young, Gokongwei, Jr.'s children were not given cash gifts at birthday or Christmas. They had very small allowances. They spent their summer vacations working in the stockroom or putting prices on groceries. They had to work hard for their money.
2. The dinner table is a place for ideas : Make time for your family and show up for dinner, as Gokongwei, Jr. did when his children were growing up. Turn off all gadgets so there is room for conversation, which is just as important as healthy food on the table. Tell stories about your day and learn lessons from each other. Dinner is a great time to exchange ideas and opinions.
3. Ask for advice : You can never stop learning from others. Even when you are the boss or manager, you will benefit from the ideas of your colleagues. If you must, hire consultants and join industry groups that discuss problems in your field. No matter what challenges arise, make sure to find the solution, even if it doesn't come from yourself.
4. Women are just as smart and as strong as men are, maybe even more : Gokongwei, Jr. has five daughters who are doing what their mother did: They go to work every day. Women are just as capable of running projects and businesses as men are and should be given the same opportunities.
5. Thank the people who helped you along the way, and give back : Helping others is a circle. Friends and family assist you in hard times, and when you are able enough, you should do the same for other people. Never forget the people who helped you. And pay it forward. Get involved in an advocacy. Make a difference where you can.
6. Live simply, but spend on experiences : The Gokongweis dress simply and remain humble. They don't spend on designer brands or flashy cars. They spend on travel and books, their means to expand the mind. This is how they constantly come up with new ideas.
7. Deciding on the one you marry is the most important decision you’ll ever make : Marry a good person. Your spouse should be an ally in happiness and not a source of misery. The challenge is to find someone who shares the same beliefs and principles and can be your partner in parenthood and all aspects of your life. For women: The right man will work hard to win your heart.
Indeed, John Gokongwei Jr. is an exceptional and ideal Filipino, a pillar of the Philippine economy. Truly an inspiration!
Source: Town and Country PH